Published Journal Articles and Featured Work
- Why Good Jobs are Good for Retailers, Harvard Business Review, 2012.
- QuikTrip’s Investment in Retail Employees Pays Off, featured case in Harvard Business School Working Knowledge, 2011, by Julia Hanna.
- The Effect of Product Variety and Inventory Levels on Sales: A Longitudinal Study, Production and Operations Management Journal, 2010, with Ananth Raman.
- How Mercadona Fixes Retail’s ‘Last Ten Yards’ Problem, featured case in Harvard Business School Working Knowledge, 2010 by Julia Hanna.
- The Hidden Risk in Cutting Retail Payroll, Harvard Business Review, 2008.
- Thinking Twice About Supply Chain Layoffs, featured research paper in Harvard Busines School Working Knowledge, 2008, by Julia Hanna.
- Managing the Impact of Employee Turnover on Performance: The Role of Process Conformance, Organization Science, 2008 with Robert S. Huckman.
- The Achilles Heel of Supply Chain Management, Harvard Business Review, 2001, with Ananth Raman and Nicole DeHoratius.
- Execution: The Missing Link in Retail Operations, California Management Review, 2001, with Ananth Raman and Nicole DeHoratius.
Book Chapters, Working Papers, and Work in Progress
- The Role of Execution in Managing Product Availability, Chap. 4 in Retail Supply Chain Management, edited by Narendra Agarwal and Stephen Smith. International Series in Operations Research & Management. Springer, With Nicole DeHoratius.
- The Effect of Staffing on Profitability: The Role of Conformance Quality
- The Good Jobs Score
MIT Sloan Cases
Harvard Business School Cases
- The Container Store, 2016 with Tatiana Sandino and Aldo Sesia
- Home Depot and Interconnected Retail, 2012 with Jose Alvarez and Ryan Johnson
- QuikTrip, 2011. (This case was recently used for Hitachi Foundation and Net Impact’s Pioneer Employer Competition)
- Mercadona, 2010, with Simon Harrow.
- IBM Retail Business Assessment at Dillard’s, Inc.: Managing Staffing Levels to Improve Conversion, 2010.
- Zara: Managing Stores for Fast Fashion, 2009, with Elena Corsi and Vincent Dessain.
- The Home Depot, Inc., 2008, With Catherine Ross.
- Exel PLC–Supply Chain Management at Haus Mart, 2005, With Steven C. Wheelwright.
- RFID at the METRO Group, 2005, with Vincent Dessain and Monika Stachowiak.
- Operational Execution at Arrow Electronics, 2003, With Ananth Raman.
- Borders Group, Inc., 2000, With Ananth Raman.